Derek Anderson serves as a Special Counsel where he focuses on oil and gas pipeline matters. Prior to joining CBL, Derek held several senior roles with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), giving him expertise in the complex areas of energy regulation and corporate compliance. Most recently he served as an attorney-advisor to the Commission’s Office of General Counsel where he provided guidance on decisions relating to natural gas and oil pipeline matters. Before that, he held the position of Branch Chief for the Office of Administrative Litigation and served as lead trial attorney in significant oil pipeline cases before the Commission.
During his tenure at FERC, Mr. Anderson was instrumental in the formulation of several landmark Commission orders, including decisions affecting market-based ratemaking, the evolution of long-term transportation contracting in support of pipeline development, and the scope of FERC’s overall pipeline jurisdiction.
Education and Professional Background
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2001 [Senior Notes Editor, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review]
- Eckerd College, B.A., 1998 [Graduate with High Honors; Ford Foundation Scholar]
- Admitted to Practice: Washington, D.C., ; [9th Circuit Court of Appeals (2003)]
Activities and Affiliations
- Energy Bar Association
- Volunteer, Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, EBA Primer Series on Oil Pipeline Regulation;
- Presenter; EBA Energizer, Declaratory Orders (November 2019)