Dean Lefler advises crude oil and liquids pipeline clients in various regulatory matters and represents them in matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and state agencies. Dean has also advised clients on project documents for international and domestic energy projects and transactions.
Dean has represented clients in rate proceedings before the FERC and the Regulatory Commission of Alaska (RCA), including complaint proceedings brought to challenge existing rates, protests to cost-of-service rate filings, protests challenging the prudence of pipeline expenses, and challenges to the reasonableness of quality bank methodologies.
- Defending crude oil pipeline against protests challenging the prudence of new investment to upgrade the pipeline’s pumping facilities
- Defending crude oil pipeline against challenge to the quality adjustments administered by the pipeline to account for differences in the quality of crudes shipped in the pipeline
- Counseling oil pipeline through an open season process in connection with construction of a new pipeline serving a shale area
- Counseling liquids pipeline through an open season process in connection with reversing its line and converting it to transportation of diluent
- Representing interstate oil pipeline in defending against challenges to rates “grandfathered” by the Energy Policy Act of 1992
- Defending crude oil pipeline against protests filed at the FERC and the RCA challenging the reasonableness of the pipeline’s rates
- Assisting pipeline in preparing a cost-of-service rate filing at the FERC to recover the costs of replacing a large segment of the company’s pipeline system and defending protests brought against the rate filing
- Advising oil pipeline in preparing a cost-of-service rate filing and assisting in successfully negotiating a settlement to resolve the case without hearing
- Assisting oil pipeline in drafting long term transportation agreements in support of an expansion that will serve increasing oil refinery demand
- Defending owner of an oil pipeline system before the FERC against protests to the inclusion in rates of repair and remediation costs, resulting in settlement prior to hearing
- Counseling liquids pipeline in preparing cost-of-service rates and in defending rate filing against protest, which was withdrawn voluntarily before hearing
- Counseling crude oil and product pipelines in matters related to establishing interstate and intrastate rates for pipeline acquisitions
- Counseling and preparing documentation for a downstream domestic energy company in the sale of its interests in several oil and products pipeline companies
- Representing international power project developer in the development of an integrated power plant and natural gas pipeline project; responsible for drafting and negotiating multiple gas sales and transportation agreements required to purchase and ship natural gas to the power plant; advised project developer on project documents through negotiations with lenders for limited-recourse financing
- Representing international energy companies in drafting and negotiating transportation agreements for the transportation of natural gas on natural gas pipelines located in Mexico
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
Education and Professional Background
- Prior to forming Caldwell Boudreaux Lefler PLLC, Dean was a Partner at Vinson & Elkins LLP (V&E) for thirteen years and a member of V&E’s liquids pipeline regulatory team for twenty-four years.
- From 1997 to 2020, Dean took an assignment to direct all legal issues in Mexico for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, after which he rejoined Caldwell Boudreaux Lefler PLLC
- Admitted to practice: Texas, 2010; U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Brigham Young University, J.D. cum laude, 1990 (Executive Editor, BYU Law Review)
- Brigham Young University, B.A., 1987
- Admitted to practice: Texas, 1990; U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit